Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Boston Marathon Bombings and a conversation on a Taxi in Paris

Had been in hibernation from the blog this year, though not by intent. I started on a long topic at the start of the year, but could not get to complete it, and before I knew it, 4 months had passed by and the uncompleted article is still midway through. Meanwhile, events unfolded in Boston and I had an interesting conversation with a stranger on the topic.

I was in Paris when the Boston Marathon bombing took place and had missed out on all the details thanks to a gruesome schedule while on the visit with 18hr work days. I was able to catch-up on the news a little bit before I left back to the US the following weekend. I usually leave for the airport at the last minute, and it was no different this time too, just that it happened to be a Saturday morning and not a lot of cabs are around the suburbs of Paris on a Saturday. So after waiting for 15 minutes, I asked the front desk of the hotel to try an alternative. They got me to a private cab company who said it could be a little costlier, but I did not have much of a choice.

The cab arrived in 10 minutes and the driver was well dressed and very cordial. He told me that he owned a fleet of cabs and he himself is driving that day as it turned out to be a very busy day, and so he might have to take calls directing his other cabs on their schedule. He was on a few calls for the first 10 minutes and then asked me where my destination was. On hearing it was NY, he said that he was saddened at what happened in Boston, and that it should not have happened in any part of the world. He told me to be careful as he knew Boston was close to NY, though I am not sure if he knew it was a good 3 hrs away. In between his calls, he spoke about the need to have peace and love in the world, and not hatred. He said, “Why are people doing this in the name of religion”. I agreed with him and nodded all along, though I was also keeping a close eye on my watch. He noticed that too and told me that we should be there in 45 mins to an hr, and assured me that he would get me on time even though we might hit traffic closer to the airport.

What he told next caught my attention. “I am ashamed and feel so sorry” he said, and continued, “I belong to the same community and a few bad guys tarnish the image of the whole community”. He said that the guys that indulge in violence are not true Muslims and do not have an idea of their religion. Besides, they clearly have not even read the Koran, and if they have, they would not commit crimes against humanity. He had more calls and when that happens the vehicle slows a bit and I would move my attention to my left wrist. He came right back to the topic after his call, and continued that the guys who did this must have been brainwashed by radicals. Radicals, he said, do not believe in god but they just have their own agenda. No god wants to kill innocent people and no true follower of god wants to see people suffer, and he said it is the same with your god and my god. I nodded again in agreement.

In between, he also gave a short family background. He was French and was born in France to North African parents of Algerian and Tunisian descent. Though he was French, he also wanted to stay close to his roots (culturally and religiously). He said everyone in his community is against the violence, and that most just want to live in peace and harmony. However, the small minority of anti-social elements put the whole community at risk by giving them a bad name. So I asked him why the community as a whole is not speaking against terrorism and violence, he was taken aback by the question. He took some time to think and told me that it is a very interesting question, and maybe that is what has to happen. Many people do speak against violence, but it should be done in a global scale so that the face of the religion is not taken over by the radicals.

He then mentioned that it is surprising to see two guys from Chechnya attacking a city in the US, when their hatred should have been against the Russian government. Maybe because the US foreign policy decisions over the years has caused so much adverse negativity around the world that it becomes easy to brainwash people to be against US. He continued, stating that it is still no excuse to kill innocents, and that we all live for a short time in this world when compared to the age of the earth, so why not live with love in the short time. “Do you agree?”, he asked me, and I nodded again. I was not sure if he understood the nod as my Indian nod goes across all directions. By then we had entered the road to Charles DeGaulle, but it was stop’n’go traffic and I was more interested in catching my flight to be back home at the earliest after being out for 2 long weeks. He said he’d drop me at the nearest terminal and I can walk across from there to my terminal to save time, as it takes more time for the car to reach the terminal in the traffic (and he was right about that). I said good bye to him and thanked him for getting me to the airport on time, and also for the interesting conversation. “Take care”, he said again and with that, I ran in through the terminals and reached mine just in time to catch the flight. I was one of the last to board the flight, which is not surprising.

While I did not talk too much during the conversation in the cab, obviously my mind was focused on reaching the airport on time, I also wanted to hear what he had to say. The long flight back provided me the time to ponder back over the conversation and there were two things that stood out. One was that being a devout Muslim, he was feeling ashamed for the bad acts of people from his community. This is not something that is common, at least externally. Two, it also gives a pointer to how some screwed up foreign policy over the years can have so much of an impact in the years to come by. Economies change, countries change, people change, cultures changes, but history remains the same and there is for everyone to see, the good and the bad. Look at a few examples where bad and inconsistent policies by earlier governments caused negative after effects.

Starting with Iran, where US and UK were involved in architecting the coup that removed a democratic government (the movie Argo starts with this), and placed an unpopular and aristocratic Shah in power for their own gains (Oil?). The unpopular Shah and his policies caused the Iranian revolution and the rise of the current regime. There are anti-US sentiments that are deeply rooted in the country. In addition, the US also supported Saddam Hussein and propped him up to counter the rise of the Iranian regime. It caused a long war between the countries where people from both sides suffered a lot. It also made Saddam a powerful person and then he became a little too powerful for his own good, and now, the US turned against Saddam and then invaded the country for reasons that we all know are without much credence. The country was again ravaged by war and violence. Imagine what the plight of people living through all of this over the years.

Same sort of story with Afghanistan and Al-Qaeda. Bin-Laden and his gang of Mujahedin, were provided financial and material support by the US (with the help of Pakistan), and were propped up to fight against the Soviets there. Afghanistan was so badly ravaged in the aftermath that it became a country without a government, which enabled the Taliban to take over the country. So many youngsters lost their future, and their next generation had to face the wrath of war all over again in the past decade. So decisions on foreign policy and war must be well thought and should not be taken lightly, as they have a profound effect on the future. Even more so in the case of the US, as its decisions have a big effect on the whole world itself. So for all those who want US to intervene in Syria, think twice. On a different topic, why should it be the US that has to intervene everytime, what about the other countries?

Just a one hour conversation in the car, but one that made me ponder over it for a few more hours. Finally on Boston - so sad to hear of the details. As the taxi guy said, whatever made them do such an inhuman act, no god would want it and tolerate it. My prayers are with the people affected by the tragedy. It is a city that I visit often and I have many friends who live close by. It is a wonderful place to run. I have one run planned for in June, and I will go and run in Boston this year too... The race must go on and so will the city of Boston…

-Ramanuja Iyer

No comments:

Post a Comment